'Isidingo' mum on cancellation rumours
Cape Town – Fans are up in arms over the possible cancellation of the SABC3 soapie, Isidingo.
Rumours started swirling after Sunday World reported that the show had been axed.
In July Isidingo celebrated its 21st birthday with special episodes marking the soapies milestone anniversary.
The long-running local soap that has shed popular characters and viewers, drew a paltry 957 500 viewers in October. Isidingo remains the public broadcaster's biggest headache and struggles to make money.
The publicist for Isidingo Catherine Sidyiyo said: "There is no comment at the moment. We will release a statement in due course."
SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo told Channel24 that, "no pronouncement has been made yet."
Meanwhile, viewers have created an online petition to save the show.
The petition which was started by Dean Kotze on Change.Org has over one thousand signatures and nearing its goal of 2 500.
"Please join me as I petition the SABC from cancelling our favourite weekly daily soap, Isidingo! This is so wrong and unfair in so many ways. Let us take a stand against the SABC and say enough is enough," reads the petition.
Compiled by Leandra Engelbrecht and Thinus Ferreira.